The term “electronic equipment” comprises, in the context of this insurance, all electrical and electronic systems such as: Electronic data processing (EDP) equipment, Electrical equipment for medical use, Communication facilities, Lighting and navigation facilities, Equipment for research and materials testing.
Scope of Cover
Material Damage Cover
Electronic equipment insurance is an ”accident” insurance on an all risks basis covering sudden and unforeseen losses, which physically affect the subject matter insured. Losses due to the following causes give rise to the vast majority of all claims:
- Fire, lightning, explosion, failing aircraft
- Smoke, soot, corrosive gases
- Water and humidity
- Failure of air conditioning
- Short circuit and other electrical causes
- Design, manufacturing, assembly and erection faults, defects in casting and material, workshop errors, bad workmanship
- Faulty operation, lack of skill, gross negligence
- Malicious acts of workmen, employees, third parties
- Hail, frost
The sum insured must always be the replacement value of the insured electronic equipment (value of the new item plus customs duties, transportation and installation charges).
External Data Media Cover
Cover is provided on a first-loss basis both for the material value of the external data media used in computing facilities and for the costs of reprocessing and restoring lost information.
Increased Cost Of Working Cover
If, in the event of a breakdown, the required computing capacity is hired, then the increased cost of working insurance applies. It covers such expenses as hire charges, transport charges for data media and personnel, expenses for accommodation away from base, night work or work on public holidays etc.